Sunday, September 18, 2005

So have we been trained like Pavlov's Dog? Or are we ACTUALLY Free thinkers?

Lisa_Renee said:

"Spam is a waste of bandwidth which is why it irritates most people.
Typically I don't waste much time on it, I just delete it."

IMHO ( which really means squat ;) ) This proves that she is SMART about dealing
with the things she may or may-not be annoyed with... I think she is at the top of the "bell curve" for sure.

I quoted this not to use it against anyone... (I just want to be clear...) I point it out to illustrate something..

If this were a truth (opposed to an opinion). If spam is a "waste of bandwidth". (Spam in my definition is the same as it is on StopSpam.org But, for the sake of our conversation, we will expand the scope of their definition by adding comment spamming to the list of offending items like bulk postings to the usenet and email etc...)

What I mean by this is "Comments that are unsolicited" like the ones I post on other people blogs could be easily considered spam.

So by this definition for the REASON people don't like spam. (It is a waste of bandwidth):
If that was truly why people hate spam why don't people attack link exchanges the way people attack unsolicited comment spamming?

Link exchanges put ads I don't want to see (*wasting my bandwidth*) in front of me everyday...
So does Google adwords for that matter... if anyTHING on the net could be labeled a "waste of bandwidth" and hated by so many why not those too?

I would argue that the majority (Obviously not the readers of this blog heheh) have been indoctrinated by the dogma that I've seen on the net since before I graduated from UNLV in 95'.

(CS for those wondering.. I know... I know... maybe I should have been a psych major.)

I would argue that we have been trained to attack anything we see that looks like spam. (We are Pavlov's Dog and "the appearance of spam" is the bell.)

The difference is that WE ARE NOT dogs. (No brilliant insight there.. hehe )

Attack anyone who is trying to be better, because of all the people who try to cheat. We have been taught to punish all who exhibit the properties of someone who is a cheat. EVEN if they in fact aren't. We punish 100% of the people who take some sort of action. In an attempt to destroy the 10% or 20% (or 30% or 50% or whatever%) of the people who are actual thieves.

My point here is NOT to defend comment spamming or spamming of any kind if that is what you read then you have not grasped the reason I created this blog.




The thing I hope anyone who reads this will think about is... simple...
Have you REALLY THOUGHT about the paradigms you hold so dearly to your heart?
Or have they been handed to you and accepted... Are you Pavlov's Dog who has been trained by everyone else?
Or are you actually your own thinking person?

I hallucinate that an independent thinker is less likely to be upset by things that cause a "knee jerk reaction" of anger...
A thinking person assesses the value of a given incident and then determines if it is actually WORTH getting angry over..

So are you still upset because I posted an unrelated link on you blog?
Please tell us why?

11 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Mad? No. Annoyed, yes.
Try reading what your spamming to, ok?

2:12 PM  
Blogger blogdude69 said...

Well I tried.. :) But it was all pretty touchy feely..
Not exactly what I was going for..

But good stuff though...

10:28 PM  
Blogger The Simm Family said...

send a pic

4:01 AM  
Blogger The Simm Family said...

send a pic

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While you are experimenting, do not remain content with the surface of things. Don't become a mere recorder of facts, but try to penetrate the mystery of their origin.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Fox said...

Hmmm...interesting idea...

get a life...

9:30 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

Read my comment on your last post.

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm i don't understand you website. what are you trying to tell the world.? but i have to say.. i just delete spamm too.

xo's
b

3:10 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Yeah, you left a comment on my blog. Actually, I was just happy to have a comment. It makes my entries look as though people really read them and respond... until of course, you realize that they're all spam.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Lucía said...

Thank`s you!
you`ve entered into my blog... My name is Lucía, and I`d be pleased to meet your comments again into my blog!
THANKS YOU!!
Wishes fom Argentina!
Lucía

8:08 AM  
Blogger Radioactive Jam said...

Anybody home?

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home